How Do I Measure the Voltage on my Vehicle?
05/12/2016 HID Auto Vision Tech Team 1074 Tech FAQ
Follow Steps Below to Check for Correct Ballast input voltage...
- Unplug your vehicle's factory harness from the halogen bulb or hid adapter wire so that the pins inside the plug can be accessed.
- Turn your low beam, high beam, or fog light switch to the on position so that power will be flowing through the plug.
- Take out your volt meter and turn it on for DC voltage. Ensure it is on a 20 volt or high scale to ensure 12V can be read.
- Put the red wire from your volt meter into one of the pin holes in the factory harness. Put the black negative wire to the frame of your vehicle.
- Read the output on the screen. The normal reading range should be 9v - 14.5v. As a rule if it is over 13.7v and the HID lights are shutting off you probably need a resistor